We thank our generous sponsors, outstanding presenters, attendees and conference leadership who created a successful VCIR Winter Conference. A special thank you to 104 West Partners, our PR Partner, and members of the media who joined us to cover VCIR Winter’s 30th Anniversary Conference.
The following lists media coverage of the event Read More
It was recently announced that Jeremy Bloom will be delivering the keynote address at this year’s Venture Capital in the Rockies Conference. The conference takes place March 5th-7th at the Park Hyatt Hotel in Beaver Creek, Colorado (to register). No one embodies the spirit of VCIR more than Jeremy, and I am thrilled that he has agreed to join us.
For those not familiar with Jeremy’s background, he is the co-founder of Integrate, a venture-backed advertising technology provider based in Scottsdale, Arizona (a gig that landed him on the cover of this month’s Entrepreneur magazine). He is also the founder of Wish of a Lifetime, a non-profit organization with the mission of making dreams come true for senior citizens.
Jeremy is a native of Colorado, and broke onto the national sports scene as an All-American punt returner and wide receiver for the University of Colorado in 2002. In addition to football, Jeremy is a two time Olympian and 11 time World Cup gold medalist in freestyle mogul skiing. Following the 2006 Olympics, Jeremy was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and played briefly for the Pittsburgh Steelers (see the videos below for a couple highlights from his athletic career).
As an athlete, Jeremy experienced incredible highs, and incredible lows. In doing so, he demonstrated dedication, perseverance, and a relentless will to win. He has since carried those traits and lessons into the start-up world. I look forward to hearing what he has to say in Beaver Creek.
Posted by Chris Marks and cross-posted on his blog, www.chrisamarks.com
I am excited to announce that Gov. John Hickenlooper will join us in Beaver Creek on March 6th to kick off the Venture Capital in the Rockies Conference. Hickenlooper has long been a champion of entrepreneurial causes in Colorado, and will share his vision of how to make Colorado more “pro-business.”
If you don’t know Hickenlooper’s story, he earned his business stripes long before entering the political arena. In 1988, he opened The Wynkoop Brewing Company — Colorado’s first brewpub. The restaurant launched among the rubble of what was then Denver’s run-down warehouse district. Despite Hickenlooper’s ambitious plan for a vibrant lower downtown, he had to interview with over 20 banks before obtaining financing for the project (sound familiar?). The Wynkoop, of course, went on to become a Denver landmark, and a cornerstone of the rejuvenated Lodo entertainment district.
In 2003, Hickenlooper became mayor of Denver and in 2010 he was elected as Colorado’s 42nd governor. Since his election, he has traveled the state, and the world, preaching the virtues of Colorado. In a recent speech, he was quoted as saying that he wanted the state, “not just to be skier friendly, but….relentlessly pro-business.” He went on to say, “I especially want strong small business. We’re really trying to attract entrepreneurs. I want Colorado to be a leader in technology and innovation. We want to cut red tape and increase access to capital.”
Hickenlooper’s participation in VCIR shows his commitment to continued investment in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain Region. We look forward to welcoming him in Beaver Creek.
This year’s Venture Capital in the Rockies Winter Conference is just around the corner. The conference will be held March 5th – 7th at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek, and, as Co-Chairman, I can tell you that it’s shaping up to be a great event.
As always, VCIR is designed to celebrate the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the Rocky Mountain Region. As a result, we will be showcasing over twenty early and growth stage companies from the region — all of whom will be seeking venture funding in the next 12 months. At the same time, this year marks the 30th anniversary of the conference, so we will be taking a quick look back at some of the people and companies that have helped VCIR become the premier venture capital event in the region.
We are also proud to be continuing the conference’s partnership with the Entrepreneur’s Foundation of Colorado. Since launching in 2008, EFCO has had a big impact in Colorado, where it has partnered with over 35 start-up companies, contributed over $500,000 to the local community, and become a central part of the entrepreneurial landscape. If you want to learn more about EFCO, check it out here.
If you are a company from the region that is looking for an audience with over 300 venture capitalists, service providers and members of the national media, then fill out an application to present. If you are interested in attending, getting a close look at the most exciting companies in the region, and experiencing some world-class skiing, then register here.
I look forward to seeing you in Beaver Creek.
Posted by Chris Marks, and cross-posted on his blog at www.chrisamarks.com
At this week’s VCIR Winter the RMVCA will be announcing a partnership with the Entrepreneur’s Foundation of Colorado. In case you’re not familiar with the organization, the mission of EFCo is to encourage entrepreneurs and companies to give back to Colorado by endowing their communities with a gift of stock early in the life of their company. The hope is that this gift will serve as both a seed for a philanthropic culture within member companies and, of course, will mature into a cash gift that will help strengthen community organizations (each company specifies the recipient of their gift).
As a founding Trustee of EFCo, I’ve been involved with helping spread the message about the great work of the organization throughout our community and in encouraging participation by local companies (In support of this, Foundry has pledged a portion of our carry to the foundation).
Starting at VCIR, the RMVCA will begin working more actively to help support the Entrepreneur’s Foundation of Colorado mission in our communities by both helping support EFCo fundraising efforts as well as encouraging companies from around the RMVCA region to make a pledge of their stock in support of their local communities (and helping EFCo expand beyond Colorado). Having been involved in both organizations for years, I couldn’t be more thrilled to see them coming together to help each other out.
As part of this partnership, the RMVCA has encouraged VCIR sponsors to make an additional sponsorship donation, 100% of which will go to support the work of the Entrepreneur’s Foundation. This donation will be recognized at the annual VCIR poker tournament. In addition, the poker tournament will feature a buy-back-in option with a suggested donation of $100, again 100% of which will support EFCo. I’m happy to report that some great firms have stepped up to participate in support of this worthy cause at VCIR - KPMG, Square 1 Bank, Holmes, Roberts and Owens, Silicon Valley Bank, Cooley and Holland and Hart. In addition, the RMVCA itself has also participated in this sponsorship.
I’d encourage you to learn more about what the Entrepreneur’s Foundation is up to. And, as always, if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me directly.
Venture Capital in the Rockies Winter Conference Reveals
Selected Early-Growth Companies
28th Annual Conference Features Standouts from Rocky Mountain Region;
Includes Clean Technology Track of Companies
Denver, CO, January 18, 2011 – In its 28th year, the Rocky Mountain Venture Capital Association and KPMG LLP today announced the lineup of early-growth companies for the annual Venture Capital in the Rockies (VCIR) 2011 Winter conference, including a new track of clean technology companies.
The VCIR Winter 2011 conference will be held at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek, Colorado, February 8-10 with promising growth companies participating from the Rocky Mountain region. The highlighted companies come from the clean technology, mobile, healthcare, advertising, telecommunications, and information technology industries.
“Even in a challenging economy, this year’s presenting companies demonstrate that great companies built on innovation are still being started and are growing,” said Michael Bearup, partner, KPMG LLP.
George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports and co-chairman of Disney Media Networks will give this year’s opening keynote. As the company’s longest-tenured top executive, Bodenheimer’s strong focus on creativity, cutting-edge innovation and teamwork continues to be a driving force for success at ESPN and Disney Media Networks.
“The Rocky Mountain region continues to be a excellent place to create and operate new companies,” said Brian Wallace, chairman of VCIR and managing partner of Access Venture Partners, a Denver-based venture capital firm. “The VCIR Winter conference over the past decade has been a launching pad for many early-growth companies to receive funding from investors across the United States.
“A strong clean technology presence has erupted throughout the region and we are excited to be highlighting such an internationally popular industry,” he continued.
Due to an increased attendance of clean technology companies, this year’s conference will dedicate a track to provide clean energy focused attendees a simplified conference experience.
Clean Technology Track
· Albeo Technologies manufactures high quality, long-lasting LED lighting products for commercial and industrial facilities.
· Boulder Ionics creates ionic liquids to enable new classes of ultracapacitors and batteries for electric vehicles and grid-scale energy storage.
· INOTEC is an environmental biotechnology company providing solutions to remove metals and inorganics from water to deliver cleaner water using more effective systems that represent new, more economical concepts in water treatment.
· Inovus Solar is an outdoor street and area lighting company dedicated to engineering and manufacturing lighting products that utilize renewable energy and innovative technology.
· ITN Energy Systems is an energy company developing new methods and applications of thin-film battery technology for defense and commercial markets.
· Luca Technologies is a next‐generation energy company creating new sources for stable, long-term natural gas production by recycling existing oil and gas infrastructure and applying biotechnologies to access previously unrecoverable energy resources.
· Power Tagging Technologies is an energy technology company dedicated to improving the overall efficiency between energy providers and their end users by providing a real-time, schematic map of the electrical grid.
General Technology Track
· Alianza is a hosted voice platform company that enables wireless broadband operators to quickly deliver voice services and applications to residences, small-medium business, and enterprise customers.
· AventuraHQ is a software company that implements a hardware and software agnostic solution exclusively to hospitals to increase efficiency of EMRs at the point of care.
· Catheter Connections is a company that develops and commercializes innovative vascular access products designed to protect patients from acquiring infections during periods of intravenous infusion therapy.
· Giveo is a developer of the first hosted platform for branded, crowd-sourced cause-marketing campaigns and social fundraising. The SaaS-based marketing and campaign management platform enables highly personalized cause and fundraising campaigns, building greater brand and customer loyalty and creating stronger connections between organizations, their causes and their key audiences.
· GutCheck is a company pioneering a new category of market research by providing businesses with real-time feedback from their target customers through a do-it-yourself, qualitative online platform.
· Accurence is a software solution provider that makes the adjusting of claims more accurate, consistent, intelligent, and efficient using SETTLEASSIST, it’s proprietary on-site inspection and software-based decision-intelligence engine.
· mediaFORGE is a retargeting company creating measurable lift for online advertisers. We reengage website abandoners with personalized, interactive banner ads, thus creating revenue and results that would have otherwise been lost.
· MOSORO is a stealth company connecting Bluetooth enabled objects through smartphone apps to the Internet enabling new ways to interact with and monetize the objects around us.
· NextGen Storage provides network storage solutions that provide Quality of Service (“QoS”) for virtualized applications utilizing solid-state storage devices.
· Orbotix works with consumer electronics companies and developers to bring phone controlled open devices to market.
· Panoptic Security is a technology security company that specializes in PCI compliance programs for small and mid-size merchants, ISOs, Acquiring Banks and credit card processors.
· Radish Systems is improving the way businesses communicate with smart mobile device users through its ChoiceView technology platform, allowing visual information to be shared during a phone call with smart mobile device users and results in faster, more rewarding mobile communications.
The three-day conference is focused on both new companies and new ideas, as well as giving attendees a chance to network with over 300 investors, CEOs, entrepreneurs, and service professionals.
Venture Capital in the Rockies (VCIR) is the region’s oldest and best attended venture capital conference and will hold its 28th annual VCIR Winter edition in Beaver Creek, Colorado in 2011. Along with the annual VCIR Fall conference, the two VCIR conferences encompass the premier venture investing conferences in the Rocky Mountain region and among the most respected venture conferences in the country. Creating a dynamic marketplace for ideas and investment, both editions of VCIR invites 35 to 40 companies seeking investment to present to panels of venture investors, as well as an audience of other entrepreneurs, CEOs and professionals servicing the venture community. More information can be found at www.vcirwinter.com